What is involved in ITSM
Find out what the related areas are that ITSM connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a ITSM thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its ITSM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward ITSM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which ITSM related domains to cover and 160 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
ITSM, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Service desk, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
ITSM Critical Criteria:
Focus on ITSM governance and pioneer acquisition of ITSM systems.
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a -vis your ITSM initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a-vis your ITSM initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– Does current usage support ongoing contract negotiations for maintenance and upgrade renewals?
– In our organization, which group oversees/coordinates your ITSM capabilities?
– Have both the Customer and the Service Owner agreed to the terms of the SLA?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– What element of the ITSM Lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– How successful have you been to date with your ITSM initiative?
– Are you thinking about implementing ITIL standardsbased tools?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– How will we govern an enterprise tool strategy?
– How does DevOps differ from ITIL or ITSM?
– How does Cost of Change affect Software?
– What are good cloud service providers?
– Are we over licensed?
– What Is ITSM?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Talk about IT service management projects and get going.
– So you have designed a great process, have invested in a slick itsm tool and paid your consultants for the best advice you could purchase. What makes you think anyone is actually going to follow the new processes after you close up the project and take down the posters?
– What other departments, besides IT, use service catalog as a means of publishing their services in your organization?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices, and why wont we?
– Is Service Delivery (hardware/software/people) capable of supporting requirements?
– What element of the it Service Management lifecycle are you currently focused on?
– What are the use cases that your org is targeting currently for its CMDB/CMS?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– If your itsm team is slated for growth, what are the relevant reasons?
– Is the service provider eligible for certification under the scheme?
– Are you thinking about implementing itil standardsbased tools?
– Are you currently engaged in an it Service Management project?
– Why is it Service Management important to cloud providers?
– What are the relevant reasons for IT Service Management?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– Which software markets will SaaS disrupt?
– What is meant by it Service Management?
– Who gverns an enterprise tool strategy?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– Available enough?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Axios Systems issues and report on the economics of relationships managing Axios Systems and constraints.
– Consider your own ITSM project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with ITSM ?
– How to deal with ITSM Changes?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Business Process Framework goals and create Business Process Framework explanations for all managers.
– How will you know that the ITSM project has been successful?
– What is the purpose of ITSM in relation to the mission?
– How much does ITSM help?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Categorize Business process outcomes and catalog what business benefits will Business process goals deliver if achieved.
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– How do your measurements capture actionable ITSM information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What are the disruptive ITSM technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– What are the relationships with other business processes and are these necessary?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– How can you measure ITSM in a systematic way?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Align Capability Maturity Model Integration governance and find answers.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once ITSM is underway?
– Do those selected for the ITSM team have a good general understanding of what ITSM is all about?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Read up on Configuration management database planning and integrate design thinking in Configuration management database innovation.
– What would you like the cmdb to do for you -how would they like it to change your life?
– Are all requested changes to the configuration items assessed, processed and tracked?
– What are direct advantages of entering into Service Level Agreements?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– What types of status accounting reports are to be generated?
– What is the difference between a problem and a known error?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Which of the entities should be configuration items?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Where do we stand currently against the standards?
– What are configuration items, baselines, etc. ?
– Why is sacm so hard to implement and organize?
– Was the technical review adequately performed?
– If yes, has the usq review been completed?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– What goes under version control?
– How does it relate to itil?
– What work is involved?
– Is this right for us?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Check Continual improvement process strategies and point out Continual improvement process tensions in leadership.
– When a ITSM manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of ITSM moving forward?
– Is Supporting ITSM documentation required?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Investigate Functional requirement governance and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Functional requirement projects.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a ITSM process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the ITSM process available?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What are the Essentials of Internal ITSM Management?
– Are there ITSM Models?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Nurse ISO/IEC 20000 decisions and ask what if.
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– What are internal and external ITSM relations?
– Are we Assessing ITSM and Risk?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Steer ISO/IEC 27000 issues and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging ISO/IEC 27000.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once ITSM is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Think about the functions involved in your ITSM project. what processes flow from these functions?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Substantiate ISO 9000 governance and forecast involvement of future ISO 9000 projects in development.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of ITSM activities?
– Which ITSM goals are the most important?
– How can skill-level changes improve ITSM?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Reason over IT Service Management Forum engagements and plan concise IT Service Management Forum education.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing ITSM?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Review Information Technology Infrastructure Library projects and optimize Information Technology Infrastructure Library leadership as a key to advancement.
– Does ITSM create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– How do we go about Comparing ITSM approaches/solutions?
– Is ITSM Required?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
X-ray Information security management leadership and look at it backwards.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– How can you negotiate ITSM successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Is there a ITSM Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– What business benefits will ITSM goals deliver if achieved?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Examine Information technology engagements and prioritize challenges of Information technology.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as ITSM leaders?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
– Why should we adopt a ITSM framework?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Confer re Marval Software planning and triple focus on important concepts of Marval Software relationship management.
– How will you measure your ITSM effectiveness?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Sort Microsoft Operations Framework tasks and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Microsoft Operations Framework.
– what is the best design framework for ITSM organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What is our ITSM Strategy?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Infer Network and Service Management Taxonomy issues and correct better engagement with Network and Service Management Taxonomy results.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your ITSM processes?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective ITSM leader?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a ITSM project?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Network management tasks and figure out ways to motivate other Network management users.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to ITSM? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What is Effective ITSM?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Audit Quality management projects and ask what if.
– Does ITSM analysis show the relationships among important ITSM factors?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Service desk visions and figure out ways to motivate other Service desk users.
– Why is Customer Service and helpdesks so undervalued given that this is a core part of branding and growth i e The head of the Service Desk is not a CxO level title?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Who needs to know about ITSM ?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Analyze Software engineering engagements and arbitrate Software engineering techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– What management system can we use to leverage the ITSM experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Systems management results and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Systems management information.
– What is the total cost related to deploying ITSM, including any consulting or professional services?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the ITSM process?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your ITSM activities?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Value United Kingdom risks and intervene in United Kingdom processes and leadership.
– Can we add value to the current ITSM decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of ITSM that make it risky?
– Is a ITSM Team Work effort in place?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
Consult on Workflow management system goals and devote time assessing Workflow management system and its risk.
– Do ITSM rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the ITSM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
ITSM External links:
ITSM (Computer file, 1991) [WorldCat.org]
Job Information: ITSM Systems Administrator Job
ESM, ITSM, ITAM, ITIL, and More | Flycast Partners
IT service management External links:
ITIL | IT Service Management | ITSM | AXELOS
IT Service Management (ITSM) – BMC Software
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems – YouTube
Is Axios Systems assyst a leader in Service Desk? Find authentic ratings based on verified user reviews and our patented ranking algorithm.
Axios Systems – Google+
Business Process Framework External links:
The Business Process Framework is a business process framework for telecom service providers in the telecommunications industry. The model describes the required business processes of service providers, and defines key elements and how they should interact.
BUSINESS PROCESS FRAMEWORK – Bank of America …
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
Business process External links:
Canon Business Process Services
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Functional requirement External links:
[PDF]Functional Requirements Document – The University …
What is functional and non functional requirement?
[PDF]Appendix A. Functional Requirements: Document …
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2005 defines the requirements for a service provider to deliver managed services. It is based on BS 15000-2, which has been superseded. ISO/IEC …
http://ISO/IEC 20000 – Guia de bolsillo. (eBook, 2006) …
Get this from a library! ISO/IEC 20000 – Guia de bolsillo.. [Jan Van Bon] — CONTAINS THE TEXT FOR THE FULL ISO/IEC STANDARDThis groundbreaking new title …
http://ISO/IEC 20000. (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
ISO/IEC 20000. (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
ISO/IEC 27000 Series – WordPress.com
ISO/IEC 27000 is the ISMS glossary and overview standard – and it’s FREE!
http://ISO/IEC 27000 Series – WordPress.com
ISO/IEC 27000 glossary standard – iso27001security.com
ISO 9000 External links:
What is ISO 9000? – Definition from WhatIs.com
ISO 9000 – investopedia.com
Contact us today for your ISO 9000 Certification
IT Service Management Forum External links:
[PDF]The IT Service Management Forum AT YOUR SERVICE
IT Service Management Forum – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/IT Service Management Forum
IT Service Management Forum – Yell.com
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information security management External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Information Security Management – Corralling Mobile …
Information Security Management Provider – Sedara
Information technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Marval Software External links:
[PDF]Marval Software Ltd. for Incident Management – The …
Marval Software · GitHub
4 Marval Software reviews. A free inside look at company reviews and salaries posted anonymously by employees.
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Microsoft Operations Framework
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Exin MOFF.EN Microsoft Operations Framework …
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network and service management taxonomy – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network management External links:
Video: Network Management Card (NMC) Password …
UNMS – Ubiquiti Network Management System
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
Quality management External links:
Quality Management Training Solutions from BSI
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Service desk External links:
Service Desk Home – fmPilot
CUNA Service Desk
Service Desk Manager – Login
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Systems management External links:
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
United Kingdom External links:
Holidays and observances in United Kingdom in 2017
Furniture & Home Furnishings | IKEA United Kingdom
Weather for London, England, United Kingdom
Workflow management system External links:
eSchoolView Workflow Management System
Document Management & Workflow Management System …
:: MDFlow :: – EMR and Patient Care Workflow Management System